Learn how to use your backyard to produce your own fresh eggs and chickens for the whole family at great savings!
Originally published in the 1940s, this book tells you and shows you, by means of clear and simple illustrations, everything you have to know, non-technical, step-by-step instruction on every feature and problem of backyard poultry raising. With the aid of this practical guide anyone can raise poultry successfully!
- Getting Started
- Preparing Your Backyard
- Basic Equipment
- Size of Flock
- How Can You Start Your Flock?
- When Can You Start?
- How Much Space?
- Where Will You Purchase Your Chickens?
- Where Will You Purchase Your Feed and Supplies?
- What Is the Best Breed of Chicken?
- How to Select Your Chickens?
- Housing and Equipment
- The Chicken House
- Poultry House Furniture
- The Brooder
- Building Your Own Brooder
- The Chicken Run
- Care and Feeding
- Starting with Baby Chicks
- What Is a Brooder?
- When and How to Use Your Brooder
- Using Nature's Brooder for the Chick
- Dust Bath Facilities
- Feeds and Feeding
- Feeding the Growing and Adult Chicken
- Table Scraps and Green Food
- Culling for Egg and Meat Production
- Killing and Dressing Poultry
- Summer Care
- Preparing the Flock for Winter
- Winter Preparation in Sub-Zero Climates
- Mite Control
- Breaking the "Setting Hen"
- How to Feed the Laying Hen
- Culling and Detecting Non-Layers
- Preserving Eggs in Water-Glass
- Basic Breeding Methods
- Selecting Breeders from Your Flock
- Choosing a Breed
- Common Breeds
- Less Common Varieties
- Breeding for Improvement
- Breeding for Standard Qualities
- Breeds and Varieties of Poultry
- Keeping Your Flock Healthy
- Remedies and Symptoms
- Frozen Combs
- Poultry Disease Terms
- Raising Other Poultry
- Talk a Little Turkey
- Ducks Do Double Duty
- Varieties of Ducks
- Consider the Goose
- Bantam Breeding and Exhibiting
- Do's in Poultry Keeping
- What Every Poultryman Should Know
- Where to Secure Additional Information
||PDF Digital Reprint, e-Facsimile
|No. of Pages:
||A4 (210mm × 297mm)