Originally published in 1913, this classic book on Fur Farming demonstrates how to make a good profit in raising skunk for fur and breeding purposes. The author was the pioneer of skunk raising business, who started with only a few captured skunks and then "succeeded in establishing one of the largest and most successful skunk farms in America."
To all those who are desirous of trying the raising of fur-bearers for profit, the author says: "read this book carefully -- study it, -- and then if you feel that you can make it a paying business, make a small enclosure and try a half dozen animals. By the end of a year or two, you will know whether you are going to like it; whether you can make a success of it or not, and will have acquired a lot of very necessary knowledge regarding the animals, that could not have been obtained in any other way. You will know then whether to go ahead or not, and if the former, you will also know how."
- General Character of the Skunk; Skunk a Clean Animal; Grading
- Fur Farming; Supply and Demand; Opinions; A Bright Future for Fur Farmers
- Enclosures; Dens; Food; Care; Breeding
- Trapping; Skinning; Shipping; How to Handle Skunk without Being Scented
- Habits of the Skunk; Breeding; Size of Litters; Ideas of Trappers and Farmers
- Miscellaneous Information; Removing the Scent Sacs; Laws Relating to Skunk Raising; Dye Markings; How to Ship Live Skunk
- Questions and Answers on Many Subjects
- What is the best way for me to start raising skunks for fur?
- How can I breed for black skunks?
- What should I feed skunks?
- I live in town; can I keep skunks without the scent disturbing my neighbors?
- How long does it take to remove the scent sacs?
- Does any of the scent fluid escape when removing the scent sacs?
- How can a skunk be tamed?
- Are the scent sacs the same in both sexes?
- What do you pay for black skunks?
- What is the best age for removing the scent sacs?
- What kind of fencing do I need for skunks?
- How do you grade skunk?
- Where can I sell skunk grease and what does it sell at?
- When is the best time to trap skunk?
- What do you consider a good scent for skunk?
- Can you tell me the best method of removing skunks from their dens?
- Is it advisable to flesh and scrape skunk hides down to white skin before hanging up to dry? Can you tell me why dealers do not want fur hides salted, say, salted slightly, and if any, what detriment it is to them?
- Does it spoil fur keeping it through the summer if kept moth proof and in a cool place?
- Will it do to breed to the same male continually?
- How can live skunks be shipped?
- Can I make any money by removing the scent sacs from skunks?
- What diseases are common to the skunk?
- How do you prevent infection after removing the scent sac?
- What do you do with the young after weaning?
||PDF Digital Reprint, e-Facsimile
|No. of Pages:
||A4 (210mm × 297mm)